Monday, January 24, 2011

"No!" she says.

Our broken tort does NOT like to be brushed, but the good news is that we have about a half an ounce of her fleece, so we're building up our inventory.

This week the broken tort decided she didn't want to be taken out of her cage to be brushed, and the way she told me this was by lunging at my hand when I tried to touch her. I'm not positive she was trying to bite me, but she sprang at my hand and swiped at me with her paws. I've taken to feeding her right before I take her out to brush her so she's distracted when I go to grab her. I've also started wearing a glove when I pull her out, just in case. Despite this difficulty, yesterday she laid quietly when I flipped her on to her back to brush her belly and didn't put up a fight at all. So, success in the face of failure!!

I am pleased to announce that we have waiting lists for the following fibers:

Hand-plucked premium fiber (from the back of the rabbit)
  • Tort, $6/oz. (first oz. spoken for already, but more coming soon!)
  • Broken tort, $6/oz. (have about half an ounce currently)
  • Black, $6/oz. (probably won't be ready for another month or two)

Hand-plucked felting fleece (from the face and belly of the rabbit)
  • Mixed colors, $4/oz. (have about half an ounce currently)

If you are interested in any fiber, please contact us at seedorff.family.farms@gmail.com

For those who need a color guide, please see the pictures of our rabbits and read the descriptions below:
  • Tort- light peach color
  • Broken tort- mostly white with a little light peach
  • Black- dark grey color

Tip of the Week: Talk to your rabbits while you brush them. I find that it calms them a little, and I hope that it gets them used to my presence faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment