Monday, January 3, 2011

Coming Soon: Fiber for Sale!

This week was spent getting to know the rabbits, making a few purchases, doing some chores, and harvesting!

This week we settled in with our rabbit habbits. (Hmm, I'm a poet!) The buns get 1/3 cup of food twice a day, plus free choice hay and water. I'm also cleaning the cages twice a week for now, although I may amend that to three times a week after the mess I had to deal with yesterday. Yikes. Besides that, they are working out fantastically. I'm still getting some battle wounds when I brush them, as they REALLY need their nails trimmed, but we're all getting used to the process of brushing.

Last week we purchased a paper shredder to make our own bedding. Any newspaper and junk mail that we get is going straight into the shredder for cheap bedding, which is a bit more of a chore, but worth it.

On to harvesting:


Above are a couple pictures of me harvesting our tort. Any time now she'll start shedding her coat for real, but she's started letting some of her fleece go when I comb her. I've been starting off by hand-plucking her before brushing. Here's what I got in one good pluck yesterday:


We already have .3 ounces (I've plucked her twice). Once she lets go of her whole coat I should have a couple ounces to sell, plus a little left for me to spin. So...

Now taking orders!!! If you're interested in some fleece, please email us at seedorff.family.farms@gmail.com and we'll get you on the list! First come, first served.

Tip of the Week: Watch where your rabbits tend to make the biggest messes in their litter pans and put the bedding a bit thicker there and a little thinner elsewhere. You can hopefully make your bedding stretch a little further! Also, when cleaning cages, invest in some good plastic gloves. It's much quicker to empty the large trays (too large to just dump into a garbage can) with your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment