Sunday, January 9, 2011

Harvesting and Chores

This week was all about setting up a routine and continuing on the same path as before. I also have heard of a couple people who are interested in our first fleece!!

I have set up a schedule for the angora farm that I am trying to adhere to, although some daily changes have already been made. The theoretical schedule keeps me from having to do more than one "major" bunny chore in one day.

Sunday: Clean cages
Monday: Brush/harvest fleece
Tuesday: Shred newspapers for bedding
Wednesday: Clean cages
Thursday: Brush/harvest fleece
Friday: Shred newspapers for bedding
Saturday: Day off!

However, I already know that I will be busy tomorrow, so I took the time to clean the cages and brush the bunnies today. I'm also busy on Tuesday, but I'm hoping that if I do a little shredding tomorrow night and a little more Tuesday that I'll have enough to be ready to clean the cages when I get home from work on Wednesday. I have to admit, the rabbits are a lot of work, but I'm finding a way to make it work into my schedule without having to spend an exorbitant amount of time on anything in one day.

Speaking of chores, I trimmed the rabbits' nails last Thursday. Wow, that is a job to be taken on with help, if you ever try to do it yourself. I trimmed them all by myself, and it was NOT fun. However, the nails are trimmed, I'm getting less scratches, and it's one more chore done. I did get a good tip from an online friend about trimming nails (after I had already done it, of course) that you should check out down in the "Tip of the Week" section.

This week I also heard from one person who would be interested in buying yarn once we get spinning. While I'm super-excited about that, I'm even more excited about the fact that while I was at work one day a girl told me that her mom was a spinner, and asked if I sold my rabbits' fleece to spinners. After a few conversations, I have a phone number and email address and a name officially on the waiting list!!

I have now harvested .6 oz from our tort doe and about half that from our broken tort. Remember, we are accepting orders!! All names will be put on a waiting list in a first come, first served order. 

I leave you today with a few more pictures of the rabbits and fleeces:

 This is the black buck getting ready to be groomed.


 Now he's showing off his nicely trimmed nails.


 The buns do NOT like to lay on their backs to have their feet and bellies brushed, but alas, it must be done.


Looky! Three labeled bins for fleece, some already getting very full!

This is what .6 oz of angora looks like. It's a large handful.

Tip of the Week: According to my friend, when trimming their nails you should wrap them in a stretchy blanket, like a fleece blanket, and wrap them up into a "bunny burrito". Then you can get to their claws and they can't throw too much of a fit. I will have to try it next time!

1 comment: