Friday, January 2, 2015

Traveling with the Buns

We had some excitement over the holidays! I decided to take the three rabbits "back home" with me over my winter break. Due to the nature of the rabbit cages we have (very large, stacking, and not foldable), I had to improvise travel cages. I took three cages we had laying around (similar to this), three cookie racks from a big box store (per cage), and 1 inch plastic pipe connectors for PVC pipe and started building. I assembled the cage, put a little shredded newspaper in the bottom, tied the three cookie racks together with twist ties, and set eight pipe connectors in a rectangular formation in the bedding, resting the cookie racks on top. It worked perfectly! The rabbits were happy and healthy the entire time we were gone, and even seemed to be a little less territorial, probably because they weren't in their regular cages. I had to clean the cages more often because they were smaller and things got smelly quickly, but it worked great for a short-term situation. So, remember when you want to travel with your rabbits that a small animal cage, cookie racks, and pipe connectors can rig you up a great travel set-up. :-)

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment