Monday, November 22, 2010

Contacts and Cages

What a week! The real world caught up with me a lot this week, but there were still some exciting developments in our soon-to-be Angora Land!

I finished reading Crafty Superstar this week so that I could pass it off to a friend that is in on this adventure with us. The last chapter was all about finding balance in life. There was a lot of information about how to keep your business part-time (if that's what you want) or about how to break into full-time. There was a story that really made me think about my goals. One of the collaborators on the book (who owns a very successful online consignment business) shared how she purchased a building to house her business, and how the plan failed miserably. It was actually good to read a story about someone who is now successful failing on their first attempt, because it reminds me that if at first I don't succeed, I can still make it work. Life isn't black and white, why would a business be any different?

I started reading Official Guide to Raising Better Rabbits and Cavies this week. So far I've learned about body types and some other general information, but I know from flipping through the book that there are articles about grooming angora rabbits, which is why I snatched it up at the local library.

The big news this week is that we got our cages!! Well, mostly. There were a couple items that were backordered that will be shipped to us ASAP, but for the most part, we have three cages, three feeders, and three water bottle kits. It was really fast!! I ordered them on Monday and they arrived on Thursday. What great service! I don't want to give a shout-out to the company without their permission, but if anyone is interested, feel free to email me at seedorff.family.farms@gmail.com and I'll hook you up with their information.

This week we make the trip to a local rabbit breeder! I'm so excited. They have Giant, French, and Satin angoras according to their website, and we're going there with the definite possibility of coming home with some. Eek! I'd better get those cages put together! If we don't find anything we're really excited about there we will be contacting another breeder that has English angoras, plus the breeder that I've been emailing for WEEKS finally got back to me yesterday, so there's another connection! Look at all of the success we're having all of a sudden!

By the time I write next week's entry I might have rabbit pictures! Cross your fingers everything works out!

Tip of the Week: When you're trying to contact someone and not having much success, just keep trying. I was anxious to contact one particular breeder because they had a great website with fantastic pictures of rabbits that I was definitely interested in, and after weeks of attempting to contact them I finally succeeded. I know that I will glean a lot of information from them. However, I will keep in mind how hard it was to reach them when it comes to spending money. Customer service counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment