Sunday, October 31, 2010

Organizational Meeting Time

This weekend the businesspersons involved in Seedorff Family Farms got together to determine what exactly we are trying to do, and how we're going to go about doing it. My mother, my friend, and myself got together and discussed our goals for the business, how we're going to split up costs and profits, and where we need to go from here.

A festive Halloween/Birthday party got the three of us together this weekend for some fun. Outside of the festivities, we spent some time yesterday looking up cages online and stumbled across something that sounds very interesting. We found a book titled "Basic Angora Wool Farming" by C. Nagle. We went ahead and ordered it, so it should arrive sometime this week. We all need to be keeping up with our reading! We also looked at rabbit cages on eBay with the hopes of finding something inspiring, and stumbled across some cages that look like what we're hoping to get that are much cheaper than what we've been finding elsewhere. We're going to look into how much shipping costs, and if it doesn't sound too bad we'll go ahead and order a couple to use for our first rabbits. We'll also be able to use the cages as patterns to build our own cages. We are definitely moving forward on the cage front. We hope to have at least one cage by Thanksgiving.

Also, we decided to open a checking account this week. We're going to get all three of our names put on the account and keep careful track of how much starter money each of us puts into the account. Once we have an official account, we can move forward on other things we discussed this weekend, such as purchasing our own domain name for a website and having business cards printed.

As for the professional contacts that I was having problems with last week, we've had a response!! A fiber farm about an hour away from where I live finally emailed me back early last week, and we've set up a time to go check out their operation and possibly purchase some rabbits. We can't make it to their farm until Thanksgiving, which is why we're trying to get cages here and ready by then. As for the other contact that I talked about last week, we haven't heard anything, so I'm going to email them from a different account this week and see if I have better luck.

The reading is progressing. I'm still working my way through "Crafty Superstar" and my mother has finished "Rabbits: The Key to Understanding Your Rabbit" by Virginia Parker Guidry, so I need to catch up with my reading, especially as I have another book headed towards me now. The immediate next steps for me are to open a checking account on behalf of the business and get all of this reading done. Then we can move on to the cages!

Tip of the Week: Be sure that you have a detailed conversation with your business partners. Be sure that they are completely on the same page as you, including how much work will be involved, what they are hoping to get out of it, and how profits will be divided. Also agree to continue having open discussions so that as things change in your business, no one starts to feel that they are getting cheated.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying reading about you starting up your business. I'm also looking forward to rabbit pictures!

    I run a small dog sitting business, it's just me and it's just on the side. However, I try to write everything down. If there were other people involved I think writing everything down would be even more important. Our memories like to trick us into thinking we heard what we wanted to hear.

    Keep it going! I love that you are doing "assigned" reading. I should do that myself!

    ReplyDelete